2023-2024 Graduate Catalog 
    Mar 02, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog






Graduate Programs Requiring Application and Matriculation

  • Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Licensure Sequence
  • Professional Educator’s Additional Endorsement
  • Master’s Degree
  • Educational Specialist Degree
  • Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study

Individuals interested in entering one of the graduate program types listed above should open an admissions account through the Vermont State University website.  You will need an email address and a password.  There is no cost or obligation associated with opening an account.  Applicants may save information and return to the account as needed to complete their application portfolio.  

Application requirements vary by program.  Program-specific requirements are provided for each program within the admissions account and on the program’s page within the VTSU website.  Common requirements are listed below.

  • A complete VTSU Graduate Program Application.
  • Official transcripts from each regionally accredited institution of higher education you attended that depicts credits related to the program’s prerequisites including,
    • a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
    • for CAGS applicants: a master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0.
  • Letters of recommendations (1-3 depending upon the program) from professors, colleagues, or other professionals who can attest to your preparation for advanced academic work and readiness for self-directed, complex, and original conceptual and applied work.
  • A personal essay describing your goals for graduate study.
  • A brief resume or CV.
  • An interview with the program director or designee.
  • For the MFA, a portfolio of your work.
  • Check the program-specific requirements for details or alternatives to the items in the common list.

Graduate Enrollment for Nonmatriculated Students

Professionals, lifelong learners, and community members who have a bachelor’s degree and who have not been admitted to a VTSU graduate degree program may enroll in designated graduate courses and graduate certificate programs as a nonmatriculated student if space is available and if prerequisites have been met or waived by the instructor.  Nonmatriculated students may stack coursework toward a certificate or degree program, or CAGS. 

See sections on Financial Aid and Tuition and Fees to review financial information related to non-degree registration.  See the Graduate Studies webpage or contact the Office of Graduate Studies for information about non-degree registration. 

International Students

Vermont State University welcomes international students. Before the Admissions office can process international applications, staff must have assurance that international students meet VTSU’s academic and financial requirements.  An international application is considered complete when the following have been submitted:

  • Completed Graduate Application.
  • Official transcripts. Official transcript of the applicant’s complete undergraduate studies.  All academic transcripts must be signed by the appropriate school or government official and must include the seal of the school or the government.  If the documents are written in a language other than English, complete and certified true English translations must be furnished together with the official documents in that language.  Photocopies or other copies must be certified true.  Transcripts not in English must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited organization, such as SpanTran, WES, or ECE.  Transfer credits must be evaluated by an accredited service.
  • English proficiency tests. If English is not the applicant’s first language, a minimum score of 71 iBT TOEFL, 6 IELTS, or 100 Duolingo English language test score is required.  Other English language assessments may be substituted with permission from VTSU Admissions.  Reported test scores must be from the previous two years.  If the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo result does not meet the minimum score for admission, the applicant may be admitted to the Pathway Program for English Language Learners.  This program is for students whose academic record is satisfactory, but who require further development in one or more English skills areas.  The University’s TOEFL code is 3765. SAT or ACT can be submitted to fulfill the test requirement.  This option is popular with international applicants whose native language is English or who have graduated from a university where English is the instruction language.
  • Application fee. This can be paid electronically after submitting the application. If applicants pay by check or money order, the $45 fee can be made payable to Vermont State University.
  • International Student Certification of Finances.  Applications must be accompanied by certification that sufficient funds will be available to meet both the student’s living and tuition expenses while attending Vermont State University.  Refer to the Confidential Financial Certification for details.
  • Letters of recommendation per program specifications.
  • A copy of your passport ID page.
  • Copy of your Visa. If applicants are currently in the U.S, they should enclose (a) a copy of their passport and visa pages, (b) a copy of their I-94 Card, and/or (c) a copy of their current I-20 or DS2019.

Admissions Contacts


Upon admittance to a graduate program, an applicant will receive notification from Admissions.  The notification will include information to guide addition steps for matriculation and registration.

Provisional Admission

Provisional admission is noted when an application shows an outstanding item(s) required for full admission such as an official transcript, a resume, a letter of reference, or a copy of the VISA.  The notification of admittance should identify the missing item and supplementary submissions procedures. 

Conditional Admission

Conditional admission is awarded to applicants whose academic record demonstrates that supplemental support and advisement may be beneficial for the first phase of a student’s enrollment in a graduate program.  The conditions of admission–such as monitoring their program GPA across the first 9-12 credits, enrollment in a course that is a prerequisite or supportive for the program material, or regular advisement check-ins with the program director–will be depicted on the admissions letter.  Students admitted with conditions should contact the program director before registering or beginning coursework.  Typically, a graduate student who achieves good academic standing in their first semester with a 3.0 or higher program GPA and who demonstrates good standing across their first 9-12 credits may petition the program director for regular admission status.

Enrollment Deposit

To confirm their intended matriculation and enrollment, the accepted student must submit a Decision Reply Form and a deposit.  Deposits can be submitted as soon as the decision to attend Vermont State University has been made.

Program Director and Advisors

Newly matriculated graduate students are assigned an academic advisor, typically the program director, and an operations advisor, coordinated through the Office of Graduate Studies.  Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor each semester to discuss their progress and their operations advisor for questions about institutional procedures.

Nonmatriculated students may seek guidance about registering for a course or graduate certificate from the Office of Graduate Studies.  The program director of the program sponsoring the course or certificate can provide information about the content and degree pathway options.

Full and Part-time

Full-time graduate enrollment is 6 or more credits per semester.  Part-time enrollment is 1-6 credits per semester or intermittent enrollment through the time period for a program. Most programs permit part-time enrollment to accommodate working professionals, though some require full-time enrollment during certain phases of a program, such as Student Teaching or other internships.

Reactivation and Readmission

Graduate students applying for reactivation or readmission to Vermont State University after a dismissal, exit, or override of a program’s time limit, may be required to submit a petition for reactivation or a new application with all materials required for the program.  The decision to readmit will be made by the program director in consultation with the department and, perhaps, the Graduate Standing Committee or Graduate Dean.  Additional requirements may be required for some programs.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act

Pursuant to Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, beginning August 1, 2019, for any student using Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Ch. 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits, even if the VA has not yet paid tuition and fees, Vermont State University will not

  • prevent enrolling,
  • assess a late penalty fee,
  • require securing alternative or additional funding, or
  • deny access to any school resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) that are available to other students that have paid.

However, Vermont State University will require that such students 

  • produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class or VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes,
  • provide any additional information needed to properly certify.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website.

Vermont Residency

For determination of in-state residency for tuition purposes, see VSC (VT State Colleges) Policy 301. Please contact admissions to request an application.

Prohibition of High-Pressure Recruitment Tactics

Vermont State University is a member of the National Association of Admissions Counselors and abides by the guiding principles outlined in their Guide to Ethical Practice in College Admission.  In accordance with the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, Vermont State University specifically prohibits the following:

  • Providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including TA funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.
  • Use of high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing service member enrollments.
  • Providing inducements, including any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, transportation, lodging, meals, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimis (defined as “an insignificant amount”) to any individual or entity or its agents, including third-party lead generators or marketing firms other than salaries paid to employees or fees paid to contractors in conformity with all applicable laws for the purpose of securing enrollments of service members or obtaining access to TA funds. Educational institution-sponsored scholarships or grants and tuition reductions available to military students are permissible.


Contacts for Matriculated and Nonmatriculated Graduate Students

For questions or guidance regarding graduate affairs, students may obtain additional information and forms on the Graduate Studies section of the VTSU website.  For academic concerns, students should contact their program director or advisor.  Program Directors are listed with the description for each program.  For issues with an enrolled course, contact the course instructor.  For general information, operational guidance, appeals, etc., contact the Office of Graduate Studies.  For broader institutional concerns, contact the Graduate Dean. 

Sandra Hall, Coordinator, Office of Graduate Studies: sandra.hall@vermontstate.edu 
David, McGough, PhD, Dean of Graduate Programs: david.mcgough@vermontstate.edu

Health & Accident Insurance

All full-time graduate students (those taking six credits or more a semester) who do not have other insurance coverage are required to subscribe to a health and accident insurance policy through the University.  Proof of insurance coverage is required in order to be exempt from coverage through the University insurance.  Coverage begins mid-August and is valid for 12 months. Check the VTSU website for additional information.

Identification Cards

Each student is issued a photo identification card free of charge. A fee is required in order to replace a lost ID. The card is used as a library card for borrowing books as well as for entrance to select campus events and facilities. Cards are issued by the Office of Public Safety.

Parking on Campus

A parking permit may be required in order to park in a campus parking lots.  Permits are issued by the Office of Public Safety.  A fee applies, and you must provide a copy of your vehicle registration and proof of insurance. 

Access to Campus Facilities

Graduate students have free access to, and are encouraged to make use of, campus facilities.  As well, graduate students are welcome and encouraged to attend athletic games and campus educational and entertainment events.

Campus Safety & Security

Contact the Office of Public Safety at each campus for location and contact information.